Wednesday 23 October 2013

Improve Training Performance: How To Use A Foam Roller

 
"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape."

Are your squat and deadlift numbers flat-lined? Your weak hip flexors could be the culprit. There may be various benefits these foam rollers can bring, but let's focus on improving your training performance today. I only started weight training seriously 6 months ago. Despite recovering from my runner's knee, I train about 3-4 days a week with weights, and I try to squeeze in yoga and body combat in between when I can. 

This is what I learnt from the past 6 months in the weight room - a pair of tight, weak hip flexors can screw up your performance a lot. I noticed the weak flexors when I sprint, an unstable bottom depth when I squat and discomfort in the hip region overall. As a result, the tightness gets pulled all the way to the hamstring, affecting the lower body functionality. This means that when I'm using a barbell in the gym, I have an early breakdown in form, and an ugly rounded back in my deadlift and squat. 

What does a foam roller really do?
Muscles are surrounded by a soft tissue called fascia. The foam roller works these muscles and tendons, making them more at ease and less tight. This can improve your flexibility and joint range of movements. In my case, it does a great job on my back muscles by strengthening and mobilising my lower back, and much more:
  • Prevents injuries
  • Keep your flexibility in tact
  • Improves blood circulation - skin, muscles and tendons
  • Promotes optimal spinal range of motion
  • Prevents lower back pain
  • Relieves sore spots
How long and often should I use it for?
Research suggests that you spend about 2 - 5 minutes on each muscle group or go on until you feel the muscles are at ease. I usually spend a good 15 minutes trying to get most parts of my body, especially my problem areas like the shoulders, lower back and hamstrings. I pair it with my warm up routine before every workout. I can tell you that my mobility and strength are reaping off the benefits.

What's the technique?

I'm loving the *squats* out of these Foam Rollers!

Place your body weight on the foal roller, and start going in up and down motions along the length of the muscle you want to work on. It will hurt for the first few times, and visible red spots are often found on the skin afterward. Watch this short clip:



Type of foam rollers to buy:
Go for 'high density rollers' as you can reap of bigger benefits. A recommended size would be between 6 by 18 inch, 6 by 36 inch and 15 by 45 inch. On the other hand, if you want to target on smaller areas, smaller foam rollers will do the trick, and you can carry them around wherever you travel.

·       Elite foam rollers
·       Trigger point performance
·       Physique foam roller
·       Alpha foam rollers

I've only started lifting heavy 6 months ago. Always being referred to as tiny since smaller, I train to gain strength and I'm open to constructive criticism when I can. Two things that are optimal when I train, my form and my grind. 
Stay tuned to see more on my 'FORM' with the squat and deadlift in the next post and I'll try to keep posting regularly from now on! 
Cheers!!! xoxo

Limitations in the research
Research on these foam rollers is not extensive. Recent research by McDonald et al only included 11 subjects and all were male. There have also been conflicting research, who found no change in hamstring flexibility after 8 weeks of foam rolling, and little evidence was found on the use of rolling for specific injuries. While taking some guidance from what evidence is available, it's good to be aware of its limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment